Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Inspirational Quote and my ramblings about photography!

This quote completely sums up the way I feel about photography right now!

with each step you take, you will grow stronger and stronger, more and more skilled, more and more self-confident and more and more successful.
- mark victor hansen


I think there is a huge misconception that professional photographers are just inherently good at taking pictures and they just own a nice camera. I think the amount of time studying, practicing and learning is easily understated. There are a million and one things to know when taking a picture. From lighting to exposure to focus to composition to post processing, the list goes on and doesn’t stop!
I literally spend almost every evening either on my computer reading and learning about photography or with a camera in my hand taking pictures. I am a member of several forums, follow photographer blogs, and have taken online photography courses. I do take a bunch of pictures of Breck, but you would crack up to see all the inanimate objects I take pictures of just to learn about lighting and such. Before a newborn shoot, I practiced by taking pictures of one of Breck's sock monkeys in my makeshift studio. The pictures were so creepy that I immediately had to delete them!

I compare learning photography to learning to be a doctor. I feel like I am in medical school right now. I have to put in the time to learn, study and practice, before running out and starting a business. I feel like I would be doing a disservice to a client if I am going into a shoot thinking, "surely if I take a whole bunch of pictures I will get a few good ones." I want to go into every shoot with the self confidence that I am going to nail the session!

The funny thing about me self-teaching myself is that I am doing this 100% for me. Not for a business, not for money, 100% for me. I truly LOVE it. I have never been so passionate about a hobby before in my life! If this journey continues for the sole reason to take pictures of my children and family, I would be completely satisfied.

There is my little rant on photography :)

1 comments:

Anonymous June 24, 2009 at 11:24 PM  

What most people don't understand about different artforms is that the equipment is secondary to the talent. You can own every gadget in the world but if you don't have the knowledge and the instinct to use them you will still be mediocre. I've got to say Kristin that you have a great eye for this. I know you studied and practiced (and that make a huge difference) but there is still something about the pictures you take that capture the essence of the moment. Your pictures add importance and emotion to the situation, where as most people look at photos and say "i remeber how i felt that day", your pictures help others look at that and say "I can feel how you felt that day".

Keep it up, you're great!
Ami

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Kristin Tatem Photography

For me, photography started after I was gifted a digital camera. It was love at first sight and I instantly became obsessed with learning photography. I am inspired daily as I look around and see color, light and texture everywhere I go. I don’t think the photographer in me ever shuts off. I am constantly looking at scenes through a viewfinder, even when I don’t have my camera with me. I feel so blessed to live the life that I do. My children are my biggest inspiration and I love being able to capture every moment of their lives in a truly artistic form. I enjoy looking back at their pictures and seeing both their growth as a child and mine as a photographer. I hope to capture these same moments for my clients. My style is simple, fresh and modern. I keep my processing very clean and classic. To contact me, go to my website or email me at kristin@kristintatemphotography.com

Kristin Tatem Photography Lexington, KY





Location

My photo
Lexington, Kentucky

Blog Archive

Live Traffic Feed

 
.